A game to watch for: Miegakure

Miegakure, by Marc ten Bosch, is a puzzle game where you travel through four-dimensional space (and manipulate objects in that space). I was privileged to play an early version in 2009; just this week I got to play the most recent version, and it is coming along tremendously. It is my Game of the Year, though it is unlikely to be released this year. I find it easy to think of Miegakure as one of the great puzzle games of all time.

If I can be said to have an agenda in game design, it has something to do with mind-expansion.  Because of that, I very much appreciate it when other designers make games with that kind of intention.  Games that are truly mind-expanding are very rare and very difficult to make, but this is one of them.

Keep an eye out for this game, and when it comes out, play it.  Since it will be a while before release, so there’s no demo available.

Here’s an introduction to the game.

Here’s an interview Marc did with Gamasutra with further details.

To keep up with news on the game, you can subscribe to Marc’s blog.

This entry was posted in Other Games. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Jonp382
    Posted July 17, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

If you say it’s good I have no doubt the game will exceed my own expectations. I was just looking at this a few days ago on Kotaku and it instantly became a must-have.

2. Fraser
    Posted July 17, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

This game truly hurts my brain in a way I never though possible… More than Portal even. I hope the developer releases a demo soon so I can stop feeling all flat and dimensionally weaker :P

3. Joel
    Posted July 17, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

I had a friend who tried to describe the 4th dimension to me the other day.
    After visiting this site, I still have no idea :)

4. Leroy
    Posted July 18, 2010 at 2:14 am | Permalink

Been looking out for this game ever since I heard about it through reports on the Experimental Gameplay Sessions of 2009.

5. Posted July 18, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Yeah, i’ve had my eye on this one for a while. It’s looking wonderful, but I still can’t wrap my head around it=S

6. ludorino
    Posted July 21, 2010 at 12:34 am | Permalink

It reminds me of Super Paper Mario (see http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/superpapermario/review.html for instance), however, I’m sure Miegakure goes much farer. Looking forward to a demo version of the game. It’s great that, sometimes, people still have new creative ideas for games! :-)

7. Jonathan Munoz
    Posted April 18, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Was lucky enough to play through a portion of the game during PAX East this year.

It’s hard to explain the experience though; it takes a little bit to get used to the mechanics but once you do, the game just clicks and feels right…if that makes any sense.

Waiting patiently for it’s release and thanks for bringing it to our attention.