Here’s That Poster

In May, we wrote about a bunch of ideas for posters for The Witness. We couldn’t say so at the time, but we were prompted to do this by the inclusion of such a poster in a PlayStation 4 promotional video. Of all the possibilities we ran through, here’s the one we liked the most:

Witness Poster png

If you watch carefully and don’t blink, and look past all the balloons that are blocking it, you can see the poster (in different proportions) starting around 0:57 in this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdW1OuZ1U0

Hey, it is what it is.

Because we picked this one as the final, we have it in a much higher resolution than the other options. If you like it, feel free to use it as a desktop image, or whatever!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Matthew
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Excellent!

This might be a stupid question, but why is the bottom left corner of the image shaped like that?

• Adam
      Posted June 15, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

I assume it’s to match the circular starting points on the trace panels.

• Micah
        Posted June 16, 2013 at 1:01 am | Permalink

The whole world is one large interactive screen. The starting point’s the sky.

• justin
      Posted June 15, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Is meant to be like a maze… Also, this is the best one of all the other concepts runner-ups! I wonder why the top down view tough?

• Micah
        Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Why not?

• justin
          Posted June 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Because the game is not played like that. It’s a first person game, not a bird’s eye view game. So is not gameplay, is not something you do and not even how you will really see the island. But hey, maybe you can fly in the game who knows!

• Micah
            Posted June 17, 2013 at 12:56 am | Permalink

Ha ha good one. It’s just a poster and it doesn’t have to reflect gameplay, right? The game is definitely about witnessing different perspectives. Maybe we won’t see this one, but this angle well illustrates that idea. Why show a mathematical puzzle on a poster that may change your view of the world (which I doubt any single one could make the game seem intriguing as it’s totality is), when you can actually show a perspective that changes the way a person views the world? This leaves you with a vast feeling too rather than just a mathematical one. Obviously, I can’t claim to know precisely that’s what Jon is expressing with this, but I know what you mean man. Your logic makes total sense to me. I’m just throwing thoughts out there.

• Andreas
            Posted June 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I have a theory.

The puzzles require you to visualize the game world from above. And there’s a hidden entity (God?) that follows you from up there.

Or something.

I might have spoiled the game. But no one will know until they’ve played it. Me neither. :-)

2. Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Fantastic.
    Do you plan to make it into prints?

For now, new desktop background!

• Wok
      Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

How did you get this picture? Are you an insider?

• Posted June 16, 2013 at 9:42 am | Permalink

It’s just the poster in the blog post, but rotated to the left 90 degrees.

• Wok
          Posted June 16, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

No, you removed the text! Anyway, thanks!

3. Max Power
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Really cool. Any possibility of a wallpaper version?

4. Wok
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I like how we see the reflections of the clouds in the sea, but no sky. It is a view from a plane going to The Island.

Posted June 15, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Fabulous, absolutely love it. Like Max I’m wondering if there is a possibility of a wallpaper version, otherwise I may just use Nicolas’s image.

6. erk
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I really like the design you guys picked. Now I have to determine the significance of that location…

7. Posted June 15, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

I love the way the clouds mirror the land! Bravo!

Here’s a new article on IGN about The Witness:

• Lestibournes
      Posted June 19, 2013 at 9:13 am | Permalink

It contains spoilers.

8. Skip
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Oh man, I love this poster! Awesome job! Can’t wait to play this game!

9. Posted June 15, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Beautiful…this is an excellent choice as the poster for the witness :) Love it :D

10. Kavan Cleary
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Beautiful. Nice choice.

11. Micah
    Posted June 15, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

I like how the clouds are on the bottom and the land is on top. Not something you see that often. Then you’ve got the water in the middle which is typically a horizon view. Very obviously this game is all about witnessing different perspectives. Clever.

I don’t know why we all put the fancy arteeest and graphic design expert treatment on your other runner up posters ha ha, even though they were really not that crucial to the game’s success, nor were you going to use them anyway. I guess we were just trying to be helpful.

12. iPadCary
    Posted June 16, 2013 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Spectacular!
    Very eerily ethereal ….

It’s wonderful to see a project that I’ve been following since
    it’s inception *actually* making it onto iPad!
    Unlike all of those other “Big Promise/No Delivery” fizzles like
    “Faraway”, “Wolves of the Atlantic”, & “Oceanhorn”.

I’ll hook a bloody generator up to my vaunted iPad 2 to get this puppy to run on it! lol
    But — Jonathan’s good intentions aside — with “The Witness” being the showpiece
    for a state-of-the-art gaming console, I, unfortunately, just don’t see that happening ….

13. Posted June 16, 2013 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Bravo! That is an absoulutely wonderful poster!

It works on many resolution levels. First saw it in my RSS reader which was rather small. Still could read the text and see there’s a land mass, beach, water, and sky (which later realize a reflection). When looking at the larger resolution, there’s more to discover in the image. As to say, look closer to discover more.

Wonderful work to whomever created the image!

14. Posted June 16, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

That’s a gorgeous poster! Love it :)

15. Posted June 17, 2013 at 4:44 am | Permalink

Great poster, makes me think of a Rothko painting.

Jonathan, I’m searching for a new book to read right now : what is the last book that moved you?

• Andreas
      Posted June 17, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

A Jonathan Blow book recommendation list would be awesome.

Top ten non-fiction?

I’m successfully hyped for this game btw :-)

16. RagingLion
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

As well as noticing what others have written, I’m guessing it’s not by chance that the clouds and land have an interlocking pattern – they could join to become one if pushed together. Looking at it I feel like everything is probably a metaphor – Jonathan can’t but help put a lot of thought, care and meaning into everything.

• Posted June 18, 2013 at 2:54 am | Permalink

ya… the two are interlocking like a jigsaw puzzle piece :D

17. Posted June 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Brilliant.

What everyone else said: Clouds on the bottom. Land on the top. Genius.

Now the $64 million question:

Is that the door in? Or is it the door out?

18. Posted June 18, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

I just pre-ordered my PS4 just to play this game!

19. Jacob
    Posted June 26, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

mind blown.

20. sh4dow
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

That’s even more beautiful than the concepts in my opinion. Nice one!

A shame though that Sony (or whoever was in charge) decided to cover up that poster so much :(