Here is the progress for today. Detail has been added to the rest of the walls and towers as well as windows and other smaller features.
We’ve had some discussions about the style of the battlements so those might change tomorrow or after.
Here are the new modular pieces that were done for detailing:
We just finished the day by meeting with the architects and discussing the interior layout of the space so tomorrow I’ll start on the interior building and ruin walls.
Here is how it currently looks:
Since we have only one week to get the entry area ready before E3 I was thinking it could be interesting to have a post at the end of each day to show how we are progressing.
It will balance out the high programming post count we’ve had the past few days and hopefully show a bit of how the art team works!
Last week, as you could see from previous screenshot, we got a rough layout of the area in the engine and tried to find answers to any remaining issues.
Today the goal was to sort out the design and navigation of the main entrance and the small towers.
This is one of my first mockups that didn’t look quite right.
The architects took a look at it and provided some 3d models of how castle stairs are usually assembled as well as sketches of how it should look:
After, I tried to figure out the details from references and what “pieces” I would need to build the structure.
Two years ago I went for vacations in Portugal and tried to see some castles. One of them in Guimaraes struck me as very similar to the entry yard. I made sure I got some pictures and now they are proving to be useful with angles that would be hard to get from online research.
Here is the current result using different modular stairs/floor/battlement pieces:
And the current overall look by the end of today:
Tomorrow I’ll be tackling the rest of the exterior walls and the 3 other towers.
E3 is happening in under two weeks, so what better thing to do than to completely destroy the part of the game everyone at E3 will play, and rebuild it from scratch in very limited time?
This is of course a very crude mockup of what the new starting area will be. It’s smaller than the old one and should work a little better play-wise. We have yet to reshape the terrain around it, so there are huge holes. Our deadline to have this area fully rebuilt is the 6th of June!
He’s put up another very informative blog post, leaving the specific topic of grass planting, venturing into more general territory regarding interpolation. And there’s a video, from which it is possible to learn a lot of this is a new subject.
Last week was the Game Developers Conference (GDC) here in San Francisco and we were invited to talk about the art of “The Witness”.
I decided to shift the talk from any technical aspect, since there are already plenty of those, and tried to focus instead on our thought process, what were the decisions we took that led us to the current art style.
The marsh had been left unresolved for a long time, so we decided to tear it apart and finish it as a team. Eric updated the main structures, Alex adjusted the catwalks, Luis took care of all the lowest structures, and I handled the vegetation and general colors. Color was a big challenge in getting the area to look nice, since it is a marsh research facility with lots of crazy colored algae pools…there was a high risk of making it look like a clown exploded on it. With some careful color choices, attention to every detail and blocking in the views on a step by step basis, however, I think we managed to avoid that risk and succeeded in creating a pleasant, colorful area: